Friday, December 3, 2010

Sweet reminders. . .

Yesterday while out shopping I made a stop at Subway. . . the one on Memorial where I used to take Chase, Connor and Caroline. . . almost cried when I walked in. . . ok ~ I needed to use the restroom and get a bottled water. . . too much info,  I know. . .  So when I walked in I noticed a woman sitting alone at a table.  Now, I cannot remember where all my Christmas decorations are but I immediately recognized this woman dressed in scrubs ~ she was one of Nanny's (Al's grandmother) nurses when she was in the hospital here YEARS ago ~ trying to remember (ha!) how long ago that was ~ I think Kelly was 16ish then ~ ???  I remember her because she was SO good to our Nanny and Nanny LOVED her.  All Nanny ever wanted was a little attention and someone to talk ~ rather, LISTEN,  to her.  I approached the woman and told her my memory of her and thanked her not only for caring for Nanny but for all the people she has served over the years.  Her daughter was with her and was at the counter ordering their sandwiches.  I shared my appreciation with her as well.  What touched my heart the most was that "Nanny's Nurse" teared up, thanked me and said "we don't hear that often."   This nurse radiates an angelic countenance.   How sad that it was UNusual for someone to thank her.

          I am reminded of President Howard W. Hunter's THIS CHRISTMAS that I display each year. . . NOW, I'm going to go and do these things in the Spirit of Christmas:

Mend a quarrel
Seek out a forgotten friend
Dismiss suspicion and replace it with trust
Write a letter
Give a soft answer
Encourage youth
Manifest your loyalty in word and deed
Keep a promise
Forgo a grudge
Forgive an enemy
Apologize
Try to understand
Examine your demands on others
Think first of someone else
Be kind
Be gentle
Laugh a little more
Express your gratitude
Welcome a stranger
Gladden the heart of a child
Take pleasure in the beauty and wonder of the earth
Speak your love and then speak it again


3 comments:

  1. When I was vacuuming upstairs yesterday, in the freezing cold bonus room, I saw a picture of our sweet Nanny and it made me miss her so much! She was the sweetest little old lady! I miss hearing her talk and tell so many stories. I miss her pinto beans and cabbage too. :)

    How wonderful that you were able to see her nurse, and remember too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty amazing that you remembered her. I am sure that simple thank you made her year.

    When we were at Disneyland the girls always said thank you to the characters and people at the rides. Most were very taken back by the grand appreciation expressed from these little mouths. It made me realize how important it is to express our gratitude even if it may seem so small to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so glad i have come over to catch up on your happenings. thank you for speaking the thoughts of my heart. you have just given my goals for 2011 and beyond. thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete